It’s so easy to grab a bag of chips or a pack of chocolates and finish the entire pack, especially when you are hungry. This is where preparing snacks to have on hand becomes crucial. Whether you need an after-school or an after-work pick-me-up, having healthy snacks prepared ahead of time can help you avoid making unhealthy decisions when you are craving a snack.
These healthy snack recipes consist of only 5 ingredients (or less). They are also nutritious, insanely delicious, and you can make ahead for the entire week!
1. Chocolate-Dipped Frozen Banana Bites
These bites are perfect for satisfying that mid-afternoon sweet tooth. Keep a batch in the freezer and enjoy a couple bites whenever you’re craving a little chocolate.
Serves: 30 bites
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Peel and slice banana into coins, about 1/2 an inch thick.
- Line a small baking tray with parchment paper and place about 1/2 teaspoon of peanut butter on a banana slice and top with another banana slice to make a mini-banana sandwich. Do this with all the banana slices, which should result in about 30 bites. Place in the freezer to harden for 1 hour.
- Remove from the freezer and melt chocolate. To melt chocolate, add chocolate chips and coconut oil in a bowl and microwave for a maximum of 2 minutes. Make sure you check every 30 seconds to ensure it does not burn.
- Remove frozen bananas from the freezer and dip each frozen banana sandwich bite into the melted chocolate so that only half of the bite is coated. Alternatively, you can coat the full bite, but you will need to add more chocolate chips. Repeat this process with all of the bites.
- Freeze the chocolate-covered banana bites in the freezer for about 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy right away!
Nutrition: Serving: 2 bites | Calories: 99kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g
2. Apple Pie Energy Bites
These balls really do taste like apple pie and are perfect for a pre-workout or mid afternoon snack. They are packed with protein and fiber to keep you full until your next meal.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dried apple
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1/2 tbsp honey or other sweetener (optional)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- In a food processor or blender add the dried apples, dates and honey and blend until the apples have broken down into very small pieces and the mixture becomes batter like in consistency.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon and toasted pecans and continue to blend until the pecans reach your desired size.
- Once blended, scoop out tablespoon sized amounts of the mixture and roll into balls. Depending on the stickiness you can wet your hands a touch to make the balls easier to roll.
- Store the balls in the fridge in a sealed container for approximately a week or you can keep them in the freezer for over a month.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 piece | Calories: 38kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g
3. Peanut butter, Strawberry and Banana Quesadilla
A warm, delicious and satisfying snack that incorporates two staples: banana and peanut butter.
- Cooking spray or butter
- 2 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 whole grain tortillas
- 1 large ripe banana, sliced
- 4-5 strawberries, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (if desired)
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and spray with oil,
- Spread one tablespoon of the peanut butter evenly over each tortilla.
- Arrange both the banana and strawberry slices over one tortilla, sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon, and top with the remaining tortilla, peanut butter side down. Press gently to help them stick together.
- Once skillet is heated, add the quesadilla
Nutrition: Serving: ½ quesadilla | Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g
4. Granola Parfait
Refreshing and light, this granola parfait is sure to keep you satisfied until your next meal. It is a well balanced snack, containing protein, healthy fats, complex carbohydrates and fiber.
- 1 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- ½ cup mixed berries
- 2 tbsp granola
- 1 tbsp honey or sweetener of choice (agave, maple syrup, etc)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Spoon yogurt into a bowl.
- Top with mixed berries, granola, chia seeds. If desired add spices such as cinnamon or nutmeg, other crunches such as coconut, nuts, or seeds as well as a sweetener such as honey, maple syrup or agave.
- Repeat step 1 and 2 until you have a few layers and have used up all your ingredients.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 440kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 15g
5. Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- flesh of 2 ripe avocados (240g)
- 1/4 cup regular cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dutch cocoa
- 3-4 tbsp milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup or sweetener of choice to taste (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until completely smooth. If you are not using a liquid sweetener, then add more milk.
- Refrigerate or serve immediately.
Nutrition: Serving: 1| Calories: 146kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.1g | Protein: 3.1g | Fat: 13.1g
6. Yogurt Parfait Breakfast Popsicles
- 1 cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 cup berries
- 1 cup granola
- 2 tbsp honey (optional)
- Mix together the yogurt and 1 tbsp honey. Depending on your yogurt, if it is too thick, then add a bit of milk or water until it is pourable.
- Divide the yogurt mixture between the popsicle molds.
- Place the berries evenly among the molds. Mix the last tablespoon of honey with the granola and top each mold with the granola mixture.
- Place a wooden ice cream stick into each mold and freeze overnight or for at least 4 hours before serving.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 94kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 2g
7. Banana Waffles
These banana waffles are warm, fluffy and soft, with rich banana bread flavor and oh so comforting! If you have ripe bananas sitting around, then this healthy snack recipe is the perfect option to make use of your bananas.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 medium bananas chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Fresh fruit of your choice (optional)
- honey/maple syrup (optional)
- peanut/almond butter (optional)
- Place the oats, bananas, eggs, and vanilla extract in a blender. Blend until completely smooth and there are no lumps.
- Heat a waffle iron and pour in a few tablespoons of the batter.
- Cook for a couple minutes or until the waffles are cooked through. An inserted fork should come out clean.
- Once cooked, remove the waffles and repeat step 3 with remaining batter.
- Serve its toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 4g
8. Mixed Berry Smoothie
A smoothie is great for everyone as it makes it so easy to consume your daily dose of fruits, which contain antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Not only that, but this one is super refreshing too!
- 1/2 cup blackberries and raspberries
- 5 medium strawberries
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 6 oz nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp honey or agave nectar, optional
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes or until completely smooth. If you used frozen fruits, then add additional milk until desired consistency.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 76kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.7g | Protein: 9.4g | Fat: 0.3g
9. Kale Chips
These are super easy to make, loaded with antioxidants, rich in iron, and make a great low calorie snack option!
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Seasonings of choice (optional)
- Wash and dry the kale. Cut or tear the leaves with your hands into 2-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together the kale, salt, olive oil and seasonings.
- Layer kale in a single layer in the air fryer. If your air fryer is small then work in batches.
- Air fry for 4-5 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through to cook them evenly. Remove when they are crisp.
- Transfer the chips to a bowl and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 65kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.4g | Protein: 2.1g | Fat: 3.5g
This Anabolic Aliens membership will grant you access to workout classes, rehab programs, diet plans, and more exclusive content to help you achieve sustainable success!