While I’m all about baking and cooking from scratch, sometimes we all just need a little shortcut when we’re really short on time.
Bisquick may be a staple in your household or during your childhood, but if you’ve never had it, it is simply a baking mix of flour, salt, shortening and baking powder. However, Bisquik’s convenience comes at a cost. It is made with hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil, otherwise known as trans fat. Trans fat can have negative health effects such as raising the LDL cholesterol (the bad kind), and lowering HDL cholesterol (the good kind).
Carbquik makes a perfect substitute for flour or a baking mix. In fact, it tastes just like the “Real” thing!
Carbquik baking mix has 90% fewer carbohydrates than Bisquik and also has no trans fat or hydrogenated oils. The main ingredient in Carbquik is CARBALOSE FLOUR.
What is Carbalose Flour
Carbalose is as close to real flour as you can get, without the extra carbohydrates. It contains 80% less carbs than regular flour.
In most recipes carbalose behaves like wheat flour because unlike similar products it is made mostly from wheat and therefore contains gluten. However, it lacks most non fiber carbohydrates such as starch, simple sugars, beta-glucans, galactans, and pectin.
Carbquik Nutrition Facts
Carbquik ingredients have only 2 net carbs per serving and no sugar, sugar-alcohols, or trans-fats. This makes it perfect for all popular low-carb diets, and is also lower in sodium and calories. It is also high in fiber and protein.
It contains 90% less carbs than Bisquick with 2g net carbs per biscuit, 8 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein.
Best Carbquik Recipes to Try
While it's normally used to make biscuits, scones, pancakes and waffles, I’ve put together 3 other ways you can use Carbquik without the guilt!
Here are the 3 nutritious, easy and delicious Carbquik recipes:
1. Dinner Rolls
- This Carbquik recipe uses very few ingredients and makes delicious bread dinner rolls with only 34 calories each!
Prep time: 30 mins/ Cooking time: 24 mins
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tablespoon stevia or brown sugar
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 cup Carbquik Baking Mix
- 2 tablespoons Swerve or equivalent zero calories sweetener
- 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a small bowl, mix the stevia and yeast in the bowl. Add the warm water and let the mixture dissolve. Set aside for 7 minutes until very bubbly.
- Mix Carbquik ingredients and sweetener together in another bowl.
- Add in yeast mixture and mix until thoroughly combined. It should be thick until its in the form of dough. If necessary, add more Carbquik.
- Knead dough until smooth until fully kneaded and stretchy.
- Pre heat oven to 300 degrees F and prepare cooking tray.
- Separate the dough into 6 equal balls. Place balls on cooking tray with an even distance apart.
- Let the dough rest for 15 minutes then brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Half way through the cooking time, take tray out and brush butter on top of rolls again.
- Cool on pan for 5-10 minutes and then move to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g
2. Low Carb Banana Bread
This Carbquik recipe includes real bananas, Greek yogurt and zero sugar added! If you’ve been craving banana bread without the guilt, then this recipe is for you.
Prep time: 10 mins/ Cooking time: 45 mins
- 1 cup Carbquik
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup sugar alternative such as Swerve
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1 large egg
- 1/ cup Greek yogurt
- ⅛ cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease or flour a 9x4 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash banana with a fork. Add in eggs, vanilla extract, Greek yogurt and almond milk.
- In another bowl, whisk together Carbquik, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sweetener.
- Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and fold with a spatula until well combined.
- Place bread dough in the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes before placing onto baking rack.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 68kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.5g | Protein: 3.4g | Fat: 7g
3. Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie
Your favorite comfort food redefined. Try this easy Keto Chicken Pot Pie Carbquik recipe that will become a favorite weeknight dinner in the household!
Prep time: 20 mins/ Cooking time: 30 mins
- 1 lb Chicken thighs cubed
- 2 tbsp Butter
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ½ cup Celery chopped
- ½ cup green beans
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- ½ cup Chicken Stock
- ½ cup cauliflower
- 4 oz cream cheese
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Sage or thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup Carbquik
- 1 Egg
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp Pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- Begin with the filling. Over medium high heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large, heavy, skillet. Add the diced chicken.
- Brown the chicken on all sides, then sprinkle salt and pepper. Turn heat to low and continue cooking until chicken is cooked throughout. Remove chicken and set aside for later.
- In the same pan, add the veggies and dried thyme to the skillet. Stir frequently until celery is soft and translucent.
- Preheat oven to 360 F. Add the white wine vinegar and stir, scraping up browned bits. When vinegar becomes syrupy, add the broth. Turn heat to high until broth simmers, then turn to low and simmer broth and vegetables until broth is reduced and slightly thickened. Add the chicken back in.
- To make the crust, mix in all the crust ingredients until well combined. Pour chicken mixture into a baking dish and spread over crust on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy warm.
Nutrition: Serving: 1 | Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 23g
This Anabolic Aliens membership will grant you access to workout classes, rehab programs, diet plans, and more exclusive content to help you achieve sustainable success!